We are excited to announce our new student and graduate design competition.
Entrants should design a functional and inspiring desk that will make a statement about the different companies or freelancers that might work within such a space; they are also encouraged to explore the varied applications of Corian®. The winning designer will have the exciting opportunity to see their work created by ourselves, experts in Corian® surfaces for the past 25 years, producing pieces for Ernst & Young architects and the London Aquatic Centre by Zaha Hadid Architects.
We are forward thinking, using the latest technologies and an experienced team of fabricators to help push the limits of the material. Once the winner is announced, we will work alongside them develop their design and fabricate a reception counter to a value of £10,000 and prizes will include Simply Rhino training covering 3D Modelling, Rendering or Parametric Design worth £650.
With the reception desk toured and displayed at leading design and architecture trade shows, this is a unique opportunity for a rising talent to see their design created and shared amongst industry experts.
Brief and specifications:
- To design a freestanding ‘meet and greet’ reception desk for a contemporary co-working space.
- To meet the maximum dimensions of 1,800 x 800 x 750mm or 1.5m2 footprint surface area.
- To create a design that is predominantly fabricated in Corian – a solid surface, man-made acrylic and composite material with properties that lend themselves to the fabrication of surfaces.
- To include the following elements within the design: – DDA compliant area, – Lockable storage drawer and a lockable cupboard suitable for A4 paperwork, – ‘Manned’ workstation functionality, such as storage facilities, PC / docking and phone systems.
How to enter:
All entrants must be over eighteen years of age and be either a current student in the field of architecture in the UK or in a junior architecture/design role in the UK. Proof of current status as a student or position will be required by shortlisted entrants. All design submissions should consist of a 3D CAD model of the desk, a detailed specification, and a concise description explaining the main design features.
Entries can be made here.
All entries must be submitted by midnight on 24 March 2017 at the latest.
Entries will be judged on the following:
- Functionality of the design. Have the specifications of the brief been met and does the piece meet the requirements of the modern co-working office?
- Originality of the design. Does the design display imagination and stand out from other entries?
- Effective use of Corian®. Is there an effective use of sheet material and does the design minimise material wastage?
- Has the design made the most of the Corian® material strengths and understood the fabrication process?
- Consideration of production. Has thought been given to the production process and the likely associated costs?
We wish all entrants the best of luck, and are looking forward to the challenge of judging entrants!